If I ruled the world, Part III

His flight left at 9:30 a.m. on Wednesday. There were tears, yes, and I did spend the rest of the day curled up under a blankie on the couch, but it's definitely not as bad as the last two times I sent him to Japan.

We had a lovely two weeks. The first time he walked into the house was magical. I'll admit to freaking out (OCD much?) when he started unpacking boxes in the garage and temporarily made the mess in there much, much worse. He installed the ceiling fan in our bedroom. He installed the pendant lights over the granite countertop between our kitchen and dining room. He figured out why the air conditioning stopped working when it got super-hot last month. (They'd installed a 30 day air filter without mentioning to me that I'd need to change it in a month. Turns out it was a soggy mess that had frozen to the HVAC unit so that no air could get through. Niiiiiiiiiiiiiice.) He taught himself how to make the bed so that I didn't feel compelled to go back and "fix" it afterwards. We took Alcott and his brothers out to dinner at an all-you-can-eat seafood restaurant and he showed them the easy way to shell a crab.

I loved every minute of having my husband home with me and it was tough sending him back, but I know what I've got to look forward to 364 days from now, and that's what I'm holding on to. I wish every military spouse with a loved one overseas could get just two weeks of being lazy together and doing home improvement projects...it restores your faith.

Now, if I ruled the world, in August TCB would get the promotion to Chief Petty Officer that he is long-overdue for. This is the primary reason that he's 5,000 miles away from home and it really means so much to him. He deserves this and I want it so much for him. Please let this happen!

In other news, I finally moved the poor bathroom scale from my old condo into the townhouse this week. Haven't had the guts to step on yet but I did have an entertaining conversation with it this morning about whose will is stronger. I'll keep you informed. I gave all of my beautiful running clothes to Goodwill over the weekend (part of cleaning out/moving on) and I cried. I don't want to cry any more, I just want to make it better.


Jenn said…
I'm glad to hear you guys had a nice two week together, and sorry he had to leave.

When we moved into our house, a lovely, very hot August day, our a/c cooled about 15% of our house that night. I freaked out, thinking it wasn't strong/large enough for the size of our house and that we'd have to buy a new one or suffer in the heat. But it turns out there was a small leak AND the a/c had been turned on full blast by the workers, so it caused the leak to freeze and malfunction. Phew.
Bluegrass Mama said…
Sounds like a lovely two weeks. Here's hoping the next year flies by and that he gets that promotion in the meantime!
Suze said…
I am so glad he was home and that you had a lovely time together. I think you were sorely in need of it :)

Sorry TCB had to leave again, but the day he's home from Japan draws ever closer, and then he'll be all yours :)

Minniepins said…
Catching up with you - so glad TCB had some time off with you!

Popular Posts