Day 6: Steady as she goes
As I sit here now, I'm nearly through six days of my "no flour, less than 20 grams of sugar, meditate 10 minutes every day" commitment, and I am doing pretty well.
- No flour since Monday, not even a little bit. I really wanted a bagel yesterday when we went out for breakfast, but even though I ordered the egg, cheese, and sausage sandwich on a bagel thin and I had more than enough calories to eat it, I knew I'd committed to giving this a shot, so I tossed the bagel and ate the innards with some fruit.
- Nothing with more than 20 grams of sugar. This one wasn't nearly as hard as the flour part but that won't always be true so it's a good habit to start.
- I drank 64 ounces of water three of six days. If not for my commitment, though, I wouldn't have even done that three days. For the days I drank less than what I'd planned, I still got in at least 48 ounces, so I'm pretty pleased with that. The key to hitting my goal more frequently is making sure I have cold, filtered water available at all times.
- Ten minutes of meditation is a lot tougher than you might think. I do my 10 minutes right before bed and I keep getting a horrible case of the fidgets. Still, I got in at least five minutes on five of six days, so I'm pleased with that. To increase my frequency (and enjoyment), I need to give it a shot earlier in the day, perhaps on my lunch break at work?
- This is only my second post this week, so I'm short at least one for my goal of four before tomorrow night. Still, that's more than I've done in a while, so I'm giving myself credit for making progress.
I'll be back tomorrow with an update on the rest of today plus tomorrow, as well as sharing how I feel and what my plans are for the following seven days. I'm still thinking about what I want to do in terms of eating, exercising, and mindfulness; I'll figure things out by tomorrow night.